what days and when do you want to go?

Monday, September 28, 2009

Rocky Mountain National Park

This weekend, Amanda and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park. The place was amazing. It was elk rutting season and we witnessed one buck chase another off of his potential mates. A nearly 800 pound animal charging at a group of people was something you don't see every day. But, the major event was that Amanda, Monique (lisa's friend who moved to Boulder), and I took around a 3 mile hike. We hiked from around 8800 feet (bierstadt trailhead) to an alpine lake at 9400 (bierstadt lake) where friendly ducks and chipmunks came right up to us to beg for food. We then hiked up to another lake (bear lake) at around 9500 feet. The whole trip was stunning and Amanda should be posting some pictures. It was cool to get back up into some real mountains, but I had forgotten how much the altitude makes you gasp for breath. Too much fun, I need to get back out there.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Guys!
    So you took a trip out to Colorado? Cool! Looks like the weather was good! I posted my vote for the dates to go to Deadman's Canyon next year, but I'm not really sure what are the good dates. Preferably ones that have less mosquitoes - which I was thinking would be around September (drier) although I'm not sure what the temperature would be like. Jeff gave me his backpacking in the Sierra's book to scan the pages and send it to you which I've not done yet, but I will do it soon. You might have it already, but I'll send it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got chased by a 800 pound cow today, he almost killed me, he was horny, thanks for the hiking poles, they make foraging alot easier

    ReplyDelete